Friday, March 17, 2017

When You Feel Like Throwing In The Towel









Its  been a little while since I last posted on this blog. In that short time I started and left unfinished a number of paintings, continued to sketch in my pen and ink sketchbook and finished two illustrations, but it seems I'm not happy with most of what I've done.

There are times where it is hard to do any work because I am so disgusted with where I am at. I tell myself, " jeez, you really haven't improved much at all and at 53 why don't you just hang it up?"

 
Then I know I really can't, I like it to much to quit, but it is easy to get distracted when I feel this way. It is hard to be inspired to do work when you feel like you suck at it. The only thing that I can do is rely on discipline and work my way out of this rut.

So I continued to draw, even halfheartedly relying on the fact that after some time I will feel better about what I'm doing and try to do better work.

The drawings that I post here I felt were bright spots in my sketchbook.  The sketch of the older man in the cap was just a little sketch in my book on a page that had two other sketches but it was the thing that got me started. I approached it a little differently and I said to myself let me try doing it that way again and all of a sudden the act of doing it became more interesting. More fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a 61 year old artist and I think you are maybe feeling stale looking at 'your same old stuff'. You do beautiful work. I'll say it again, you see 'no progress' and I see beautiful work. I hit a rut and decided to seek out art instruction on youtube just to see how other people work. I found your channel among others and it's given me new inspiration. I hope you keep at it!

    ReplyDelete