Friday, March 24, 2017

Over Fifty Consecutive Days of Pen and Ink Drawing








“From the age of 6 I had a mania for drawing the shapes of things. When I was 50 I had published a universe of designs. But all I have done before the the age of 70 is not worth bothering with. At 75 I'll have learned something of the pattern of nature, of animals, of plants, of trees, birds, fish and insects. When I am 80 you will see real progress. At 90 I shall have cut my way deeply into the mystery of life itself. At 100, I shall be a marvelous artist. At 110, everything I create; a dot, a line, will jump to life as never before. To all of you who are going to live as long as I do, I promise to keep my word. I am writing this in my old age. I used to call myself Hokusai, but today I sign my self 'The Old Man Mad About Drawing.”
― Hokusai Katsushika

I put up the quote by Hokusai as a reminder, if I appear self critical it's not at all because I am unhappy with drawing or painting but because I am trying to get better at it. I want to adopt Hokusai's attitude when it comes to drawing.

I have had over fifty consecutive days of drawing in my pen and ink sketchbook. While I enjoyed working in the sketchbook everyday it's only the past few days that I see any real progress. By progress I mean that I've gotten better at starting the drawing and at using the tools better and coming up with different ways of arriving at a finished drawing. I've used different pens and learned to make different marks with them. I am more comfortable at varying the weight of the line. There are things that I am learning to do better through constant practice.

 The consistency is more satisfying than any one drawing because I look forward to applying what I've learned to do better in my next drawing.










No comments:

Post a Comment