Sunday, December 11, 2016

Painting With A Limited Palette In Gouache




Been a little while since I picked up a brush to paint. I had spent the last two months doing pen and ink drawings and sketches and thinking about how much I wanted to paint.

I decided that I would spend this weekend painting with gouache. The painting on the left was done with a limited palette. I used Lamp Black, Permanent Scarlet, Yellow Ochre and White. Based on the Zorn Palette, but not the exact same colors he used- he used Ivory Black (a blueish black), Cadmium Red Medium, Yellow Ochre and White.

It was a new thing for me to paint with a limited palette. At first I wanted to add ultramarine Blue because it would've been easier to add cooler colors but I decided to stick to the limited palette. It turned out to be a good decision because one of the challenges I have with introducing some of the other colors is that I find it harder to control the values. Colors like Ultramarine Blue when I apply them appear darker when wet but when they dry they appear too high key even when mixed with other colors. I keep having to go back into the color to mute it.

I will try this limited palette again but next time I will use the exact colors Zorn did.


The other painting (which was actually done first) Was done using the palette I would normally use.

No comments:

Post a Comment