Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Watercolor Portrait




A while back I was asked to raffle a portrait for a fundraiser in my old High School, the High School of Art and Design in New York City.

It turned out to be a little bit of a challenge because I wasn't sure how I was going to paint the picture. I knew it was going to be a watercolor and I had a few pictures which I took for reference. I've painted people I did not know before but I never had to present it to them ( except for the paintings I've done of family members). So the challenge was that even if I get a likeness would I be able to communicate something about his character so when the person see's it they can say "That's me".

After a failed first attempt I worked on a couple of sketches after which I came up with the painting above.




Never did get to ask the gentleman what he thought about the painting but he did post that he was pleased with it on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment