Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Some Pen and Ink Drawings From My Sketchbook


So far in the month of March I've had two illustration assignments that required me to produce a total of four illustrations. Currently I am struggling to get through the last of these.

When I do these illustrations I almost always use digital media. It's just faster and I can take it with me and work on a tablet if I have to leave home.

Unfortunately I find that when I take the time to work exclusively in digital media I feel a bit rusty when I get back to working in traditional media. It could be that the mediums are just different disciplines like watercolor and oils requiring a different approach. The funny thing is that I find that it is much easier for me to go from traditional to digital and find it a lot harder to do the reverse. I always feel as If I need to shake of some rust after setting aside the traditional tools to do some digital work. I also feel that working with traditional media benefits the work I do digitally but I can't say that working digitally helps with the work I do in other media. Not saying that this is a rule of thumb, it's just the way I feel.

For this reason I always set aside time to do something in my sketchbook each day. It may or may not be related to the current illustration assignment. It's mostly drawings but most times I wish I had time to paint as well.

These pen and ink drawings are some of the sketches I've done as I worked on the illustration assignment this month.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment