Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sketch Dump



Sometimes after I finish an illustration assignment or a painting I am at a lost as to what to do next. I have so little time to work since I'm balancing art and a regular 9 to 5, with an occasional illustration assignment. When I start a painting I need to know exactly what I am committing my self to, how I'm going to use my time. That is why I do so many of these sketches of different subjects, in different media. Some serious, some playful. It is an effort to catch an idea, an inspiration as well as an effort to keep my hands moving.

So I sketch a self portrait in gouache using a mirror, or I use a photo for some pen and ink sketches, or I do a quick watercolor sketch as I wait with my son by a bus stop, or I draw comic book characters from my imagination. I do my best to make sure I do not let the time go by without making a mark in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment