Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Pen and Ink Drawing




Pen and ink has always been one of my favorite mediums. The thing that I like about it is that you have just one black line to construct your image. You can vary the size of the line, I use a brush for thicker lines or large black shapes. But you are limited and have to really think about how you can make the most of that line to make your image.

 That line has to do express value and color (even though it is just black you can suggest color). It also leaves you very little room for error. Sometimes the line is not exactly as I had planed- to thick or spattered and I have to continue trying to make the drawing work even so. Sometimes I use a pen filled with white pigmented ink to go over a mistake or I might take an exacto knife and scratch out some ink depending on the thickness of the paper I'm using.

These drawings were done on my lunch hour at work except for the one with the Union soldiers which was done when I got back home. I used a Pentel Brush Pen and also a Pentel Ballpoint Pen with permanent black ink.

It is also fun to add an ink wash or a black  watercolor wash (greyed down with water) to the drawings.




No comments:

Post a Comment