Friday, May 29, 2015

Painting In ArtRage

This past week I finished up the illustration assignment that has kept me so busy. I then proceeded to explore another application, ArtRage. I've used this before but to be honest I had not really given it the time the application deserves. Like any application it takes a bit of getting used to. For instance in the oil brush you don't have just one oil brush but several options and then there are different presets that can be altered in each brush. Really not that different from Sketchbook Pro, just looks different.

What is different, and what I really like, is that the brushes look closer to the real thing. There is a slider in the presets that is called thinner. Depending on the amount of thinner you apply the color in the stroke is either opaque or transparent. The more opaque setting looks like a juicy brush stroke, loaded with paint and the transparent setting acts as a glaze allowing some of the color underneath to show through.

When you open up the program it is important to change the image presets for the document. The default has the image at 72 dpi. I would change that to no less than 300 and I would change it before you start painting. The painting above lost all of the juicy brush strokes because I decided to bump up the image after the painting was done. The image bellow it, while I don't think was as successful retained the kind of brush strokes I wish were still present in the first image.

Below is a YouTube demo of the first image.












No comments:

Post a Comment