Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sketching From Life/ Drawing from imagination





 It's been a while since I've posted I know. Most of what I'm doing now has to be published before I can post it and explain what I've been doing. But there is always my little sketch book that I always carry with me. Most of what I've been doing lately is illustration work done at home using some reference but mostly working from imagination. I really believe that its important to work from both memory (or imagination) and from life.

Drawing  and painting from life adds to your memory and helps you imagine what it is you want to draw from your imagination.



You should often amuse yourself when you take a walk for recreation, in watching and taking note of the attitudes and actions of men as they talk and dispute, or laugh or come to blows with one another... noting these down with rapid strokes, in a little pocket-book which you ought always to carry with you. (Leonardo da Vinci)


 These drawings were done on the subway on my ride to and from work. They were done very rapidly using two water soluble pencils (black and sepia) and a Niji brush filled with water on a 5 X 7" sketchbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment