Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Trying to Mimic Leyendecker









A short while back I completed an illustration assignment done from my imagination with the use of some reference for some of the background figures. One of the figures was a swipe from a Leyendecker painting and I guess because of that particular figure I tried to make the rest of the painting look something like Leyendeckers style. You can see this painting on the upper left. It didn't come out too bad but it would never be mistaken for a Leyendecker. No surprise there. Still it was fun to do.





















 A little while later I decided to paint a portrait of my Mom in which I tried to mimic J.C. Leyendeckers style. What captures my attention most about Leyendeckers paintings  ( on the right is one of Leyndeckers sketch canvas' ) is that every brush stroke has a purpose, There is not a single stroke wasted. Everyone well thought out and describing some important detail on the canvas. A very hard thing to do.

But whether or not I'm successful at mimicking his style or not a lot can be learned by just trying. I also had a great deal of fun painting it.

2 comments:

  1. That is one of the best Leyendecker mimicks I have seen, very nice work. Is it digital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it is digital, done in Sketchbook Pro.

      Delete