Sunday, April 5, 2015

Drawing and Painting In Mischief









One of the main things that I look for in drawing and painting software is its ease of use. It has to be as close to actually just picking up a pencil or a brush and just be able to start working. I don't need a whole lot of technical tricks, I'm not interested in photo manipulation. Of course a good tablet helps a whole lot as well, but it's important that the software be easy to use.

That's the reason I like Sketchbook Pro. It's really simple to use, easy to keep track and find my favorite brushes and tools. I have Photoshop and it is excellent but it's been a while since I've used it to paint. I like ArtRage, how it mimic's the different mediums listed in its arsenal of brushes, but there's a bit of tweaking that needs to be done in order  to get the results which do look so much like the real thing.



There is one other program besides Sketchbook Pro that is very easy to use. Mischief is another terrific software. It is not packed with as many brushes as Sketchbook Pro. There is not a lot beside changing the opacity that you can do to the layers. But there are a good amount of adequate brushes and you can use an unlimited amount of layers (how many really depends on your computer memory).

Mischief also has what is called an infinite canvas. You can continue to draw on the canvas as if you were drawing on an endless roll of paper. You can move your drawing over left, right, up or down and continue drawing.

Mischief allows you to save your image as an Mischief file but you can export either the visible canvas or portions of it as an jpeg or png file. You can adjust the size and resolution as you are exporting your file.

The images I am posting here were done in Mischief. In these drawings I was simply exploring the application to see what can be done with it. It is wonderfully easy to use and that is the best thing I can say about any application.




1 comment:

  1. I really like Mischief too as well as Krita. Thanks for the inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete