Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pen And Ink Sketchbook







One of the first mediums I was attracted to was Pen and Ink. As a kid I spent hours and late nights (sometimes sleepless nights) copying my favorite drawings from the pages of comic books. I used brush, pen and ink to copy the works or imitate the styles of John Busecema and Alfredo Alcala, Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Frank Frazetta. Latter on I discovered the works of the great pen and ink artist of the Golden Age of American Illustration. Charles Dana Gibson, Franklin Booth, Joseph Clement Coll, Harrison Caddy, Etc.

Pen and Brush and Ink is the medium I turn to when I sketch from imagination. Its fun.
Lately I started doing an exercise using this medium. I collect refference from the internet on subjects I enjoy. I love history (not that I'm a history buff, I just like the romance of earlier times), I have collected some photos of Civil War and  Medieval reenactors, Roman reenactors. I use them to make warm up sketches in pen and ink. I play with it using several sources for one figure or face. Exaggerating or adding features like beards or aging the characters, etc. I also use refference photos that I have taken myself for earlier projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment