Monday, December 15, 2014

Drawing It Over 7 Times (Pen and Ink)




It's been a while since I've really focused on the Pen and Ink medium. I've done a bunch of sketches but this is the first time in a long time I reached for my steel nib dip pens. Not entirely happy with the results but I enjoyed doing this recent drawing.

I'm probably going to have another go at this. The image is too good and worth fighting to make a better drawing of it.

I remember a long time ago an art instructor told this story about an illustrator whose Art Director told him that if he did his drawing over 7 times that he would be more satisfied with the final drawing. At first the illustrator was angry and dismissive but eventually he did the 7 drawings and was happy with the result and made it a common practice after. The art instructor talked about how when he heard the story he did the something and his work was better for it.

I also remember having a conversation with the son of a teriffic watercolorist in which he told me that his father would reuse figures from previous paintings and each time he would refine the figure making it better and better.That watercolorist was David Levine. A great pen and ink artist as well.

Come to think of it I've done images of this person in different mediums in similar or different pose's.


The drawing at left is from my sketchbook done in a little (just a bit) loser or freer style. Maybe something to shoot for.

No comments:

Post a Comment