Tuesday, November 11, 2014

More Sketches of my Mother




I had a discussion with someone about these paintings I've been doing of my Mother. I was asked why do I paint these pictures of her in her old age. It was suggested that I look for photos of her when she was younger and use those as reference.

My response was;

1- I paint these pictures of her when I visit her. Its a way of passing the time with her when she is at an age that I'm not sure if she recognizes me, not all the time anyway.
I help her with her food, I play her music and as she listens I sketch her and try to talk to her at the same time.
Painting her is an experience for me. It is just as much a memory, a good one, as when she was younger.

2- I find her just as lovable and worthy of painting in her old age as I did before.



1 comment:

  1. This post is beautiful. I can completely relate. And your paintings show how much you love her and your craft.

    ReplyDelete