Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Don't be Afraid To Mess It Up





It really helps to not be afraid to mess things up. I did my best not to worry and splash paint around- it did help to have a strategy though. I made a careful drawing and then went to bed for the night all the while plotting at how I was going to paint the picture.

I enjoyed pushing the water around, applying a cool blue wash over the warm colors of his face, deepening the dark areas by applying washes of color. It turned out to be fun because I wasn't afraid to mess it up and have to throw it away.

Not that there aren't still some things that bother me. I should have placed the figure better on the paper so that his left elbow doesn't run off the page and I'm not sure about the rendering of his left hand. But overall I'm pretty happy with the painting.

Another painting I did recently was a landscape. I took my brand new pochade box outside. My son Jason came with me and painted alongside me. Initially I liked the painting but as I began to live with it I kept wanting to change things in it. One morning I woke up and looked at it and began applying paint with a palette knife. I decided that I did not like the painting as it was so I was either going to make some bold changes or throw it out. Again, just not being afraid to mess it up made all the difference.

Detail of landscape painting.




















No comments:

Post a Comment