Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Struggling and Growing




Day 1


“Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do.”
Edgar Degas


There are times where all my faults seem to show up as I'm painting. It feels like I don't know what the heck I'm doing. That's about where I am with the things that I am currently working on- It's been a struggle.

"Paintings that you work hardest at are the ones you learn the most from, and are often your favorites." (Irwin Greenberg)


Day 2






I've started a number of paintings over the past couple of weeks and all have been a fight to resolve drawing and value and color, sometimes it seemed I knew little about any of those things.

The way I see it this struggle is frustrating, but good. I have to get past this sinking feeling of failure, hoping that as I strive to get past my shortcomings my work will be the better for it.

"Give yourself room to fail and fight like hell to achieve." (Irwin Greenberg)

Right now it's a bit deflating though.



Day 1. A start I have to get back to.


This struggle brings to mind a story Irwin (Greeny) Greeberg told his students (of which I was one). He said that when he was in school he noticed another kid making a drawing of a man and a donkey. He talked about how he was so impressed with the drawing, it seemed so perfectly executed, flawless. He was amazed by that students talent. A couple of years went by and Greeny struggled through art class' and matured in his work. He saw real personal growth as he tried his best to go beyond his ability. Later he saw that same kid again drawing the same man and donkey. He had never gone beyond what he knew.










No comments:

Post a Comment