Friday, August 29, 2014

Sketching With Watercolor Pencils





“Get the few main lines and see what lines they call out.”
Robert Henri






Lately I’ve been sketching with these water soluble pencil’s like a kid who discovered a new toy.


I like being able to work back and forth from a watercolor wash to putting some pencil lines back into the drawing once it dries sufficiently. All though once in a while I render a bit more than I think I should, working this way is helping me to work quicker, jotting down only what is important. Sometimes I rework the drawing a bit later on but what I actually start out with is a bit of a line drawing with some wash, the drawings of my Mother (on the left and below) I have a little more time to work on. The quote by Robert Henri above is a handy reminder of finding and starting with the  few important lines, getting down what is essential first. The watercolor pencils help me to put these things down quicker.

 
“The sketch hunter moves through life as he finds it, not passing negligently the things he loves, but stopping to know them, and to note them down in the shorthand of his sketchbook.”
Robert Henri


No comments:

Post a Comment