Monday, June 9, 2014

Preliminary Studies for an Oil Painting






When my kids were born I had put aside painting in oils for many years. I didn't want to take the chance of having the paints and thinners around them. They've been older for sometime now and I've rarely returned to the medium even though I love painting in oils. Well that's ended. Even though I still have only a small space to work in I've taken out the oils again.




A drawing I posted earlier was a study for the current painting I am working on now. Over the weekend I also completed two color studies done in oils.




The studies help me to resolve problems in drawing and color ahead of time giving the final painting a better chance of success. At the very least I can anticipate the parts of the painting that are going to be a challenge for me. In this painting the figures left hand has proved the most difficult to draw and I would probably need to make another study of just that hand to understand it's shape better.

No comments:

Post a Comment