Sunday, April 13, 2014

A traditional Pen and Ink Illustration









For a recent illustration assignment I decided to return to traditional media rather than digital. Although I eventually put in some shading in Sketchbook Pro the pen and ink illustration was largely done using a steel nib and india ink on paper.

 The reason for working this way was that I liked the idea for the drawing and wanted to have an original rather than a digital copy. Compared to doing a pen and ink drawing digitally working with traditional media can seem tedious.  The reason I find it so is because of the work it takes to go from initial sketch to finished pencil drawing, then transferring that drawing to a sheet of Bristol board to do the final inking.
 
 
 What I do with the initial drawing, once its been approved, is to rework It making corrections. I do this using a sheet of tracing paper placed over the drawing. I will continue to make corrections using as many sheets of tracing paper as needed till I feel satisfied with the drawing.

After that I transfer the final drawing to a board using a light box. To save time I may make a scan of the final drawing and in Photoshop convert it to a blue line drawing or a very light gray and print that on to a sheet of Bristol board. Once the drawing is transferred I start applying the ink.. In actuality the tedious part to me is transferring the drawing once its ready, everything else I enjoy doing.


The brown shading was done in Sketchbook Pro and the final illustration was fit in to an oval panel.



 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mr. Grobles63~!

    I just wanted to tell you how much I value your tutorials and videos on YouTube. They are a wealth of information for me and a great inspiration. I couldn't post this on YouTube because I prefer not to use Google+, but I just wanted to express my appreciation.

    I wish you all the best.
    ~Darnetta J.

    ReplyDelete