Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Painting, The Practice of Practice

A short time ago I had the opportunity to be part of a Draw-a-thon that was held at Art and Design, my old high school in New York City. I had a lot of fun drawing from the model even though I struggled the whole time as I worked from the model. It's been a while since I worked from life, even though I have practically preached the importance of it. I went from one bad watercolor to another but it didn't matter. The experience of working from life was more important than coming away with a successful painting (though that would've been nice too). I could have chosen to be discouraged by the experience but when you really want to be good at something, really master it to the best of your ability, whatever that thing might be, it will be the hardest thing you ever do. I am signed up for a lifetime of working at this, looking forward to each new day to practice my craft.
 
So now I am in a painting class where every Sunday where I work from the model for about 6 hours. Of course that's not enough so I have to get back and keep up with some old habits like painting outdoors and drawing my fellow passengers on the subway.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. You are such a great inspiration for me. Thank you for all the instructional videos and texts. I think just reading your posts and watching you work improved my work too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dominik. We are both learning as we go along.

      Delete
  2. I've been taking my laptop and Wacom to life sessions for the last few weeks, using SketchBook Pro as a painting medium. Getting some not awful results. If you're interested:
    http://scottcooperstudio.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanna let you know I really like this image, saved it a time ago as an inspiration. Really surprised when I saw it again when I was looking for some sketchbook pro video's. I think you should put it at your art prints at society6. Thank you for your time making the video's!

    ReplyDelete