Sunday, March 2, 2014

How Much Detail Do You Need In A Drawing Or Painting.





How much detail do you need in your image? How do you decide what information is absolutely necessary to create a compelling image? My response is an obvious, "practice", keeping in mind that every artists has a unique way of looking at the same thing. One persons choices will be different from the next.


Of course there are exercises you can do to help you to begin to see things more simply, (you know, less is more).


I like making brush drawings with black ink, focusing on broad patterns of light and dark. Like the first two drawings at left.


Another exercise is to work with a watercolor wash using either lamp black or burnt sienna.


I do my best to keep it simple and stay away from adding to much detail. Something I continually strive to do, that is to strike a balance between simplicity and the amount of detail I put in.


The color self portraits at the end are pages from my sketch book where I try to resolve how much information is necessary to create a convincing image.


































These last two are actually the same image. I scanned the painting midway through to show that much of what was necessary was already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment