Sunday, December 15, 2013

Ways To Kickstart Your Imagination

The head on the upper left is the Ghost of Christmas Present.


 I have found that one of the best ways to kick start my imagination is to read. When I read I get a visual image in my mind of what the author is saying. I liked reading from writers like Charles Dickens or J.R.R Tolkien. When I do their characters find their way into my sketchbooks. This helps me especially when the ideas run dry and I wonder what to do next. Rather than staring at a blank sheet I can recall characters or scene's from some story I've read and draw those images.





The figure on the far left is Marley's ghost from A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. It illustrates the following line, "At this the spirit raised a frightful cry, and shook its chain with such a dismal and appalling noise, that Scrooge held on tight to his chair, to save himself from falling in a swoon. But how much greater was his horror, when the phantom taking off the bandage round its head, as if it were too warm to wear in-doors, its lower jaw dropped down upon its breast." 

 Another sketch for the ghost of Christmas Present.

No comments:

Post a Comment