Monday, October 7, 2013

Paintings Of My Mother

    






When I was a teen I struggled hard to learn how to draw and paint. I had a very supportive family. My brother and sister would pose for me from time to time; I would even sketch my brother as he slept in the bed across from mine. My mother would pose for me too. They weren’t always patient but they would fight through their discomfort and sit as I would try to draw as quickly as I could. My mother even bought me a large mirror so I can work on self portraits when no one was available to sit for me.

It’s taken me too long to remember this and appreciate the time they took to indulge me. My family has given me many good memories of love and patience. 

My mother is now ninety years old and I am not sure if she knows who I am when I visit her. I try to talk to her but I’m not sure if she can understand me.   Most of the time I pass the time by taking out my iPad and sketching her in one of the many drawing apps I have loaded on the tablet. While I sketch her I am playing music for her, the music that she liked and listened to. Most of the time she would fall asleep, as I continued to draw her.  It’s a very hard thing to do.  I would rather have a conversation with her. To be able to talk and laugh, to remember the old neighborhood, family, etc. To hear stories about her childhood and the grandparents I never got to know. But drawing is all I can do and maybe it’s a way of helping her to remember the son who loved art so much. 



This was done many years ago when my Mom would sit for me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Robles: I'm a fellow Artist who also grew up in the hustle & bustle of NYC & neighboring areas. My Dad was bed ridden for a couple of years after having suffered a debilitating stroke. He's since passed on, two years ago. Among my huge family, he also was a grand influence to me- arts included. I miss my chats with him, listening to music, dominoes & just his warmth as we watched TV when I was a child. The hardest part of life after his stroke, was that he remained mentally clear. It brought us joy to continue having him there in that way, yet his physical & emotional suffering was too much for us all. I share with you because I'm wishing you all the best for your Mom, yourself & family as you get by daily. I know it's not easy & sincerely hope you'll find comfort, Peace. Feel free to contact me with any inquiries regarding support during this difficult time. Until then...Peace & Strength be with you all!
    ~AJG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adriana for your kind and encouraging comment to my post. Its nice to know people are willing to share something so deep and personal and I imagine I will be at the same place missing my Mother when that time comes. Your post made me want to spend time with my own children ( I have two son's 12 and 14 ), even though I would hope the time is long in coming I would want them to have good memories of me when I have moved on, like what you Father has given you. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome Mr. Robles! I know it's quite personal, but in my Dad's case, there's no shame in saying all that he was- a man of great conviction with a whole lotta heart! :) I'm proud & infinitely honored to be one of his eight children. I know yours will someday see that in you! Better while we're still around, I'm sure. That's why I made it a point to tell my Dad every chance I had. Wishing you Peace & joy with yours...Adriana

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete