Saturday, October 26, 2013

New How To Book On Sketchbook Pro Painting Essentials








A while back I received an email from PACKT Publishers asking me if I would be interested in writing a How To book on painting in Sketchbook Pro. They may have seen my You Tube Chanel or this blog or maybe my Deviant Art page, don't know which but it lead to my writing this book. Though its mostly about painting I spend sometime talking about pen and ink as well. There is a sample chapter available on the PACKT website . The book is written with the beginning to intermediate user in mind and Sketchbook Pro is a lot easier to learn, in my opinion, then a lot of other graphic software. Sketchbook Pro also less expensive and still able to turn out professional quality digital works of art. So this would be a good jumping in point if you want to explore going from traditional media to digital. There are demos in the book on Painting, Pen and Ink and Pen and Ink and color as well as how to create a Do It Yourself Brush in Sketchbook Pro.


The book can be ordered on the website ( which has the best deal- the book which is printed in black and white is bundled with a color PDF/Epub  version ) or from Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes and Noble and a couple of other outlets. A link to the book will also be listed on the store page on this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Gil, Congrats on your book. I've been looking forward to this since your original announcement about it Bering written. I purchased a copy of the Kindle edition asnd look forward to getting into in. I use Sketchbook Pro on my iMac, iPad and Gsalaxy Note 10.1. Between the tablets, the Android has been the favorite for Sketchbook Pro because of the amazing SPen stylus... Its been less enjoyable going back to the other stylus' needed for the iPad but I dfo miss the recording function of Sketchbook Pro on the iPad that is not present in Sketchbook Pro on Android. I think more books and training for Sketchbook Pro are so needed. Though the program isn't hard to learn or use... Using it effectively is a whole different story for beginning artists as myself. Thanks again and much success and blessings to you for this effort and sharing of your time and talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TL, Thank you. I wrote the book with the Windows version in mind. Although all the techniques still apply. I do have the Ipad version but found it really annoying because I cannot find a suitable stylus. After checking the Ipad version I think what I wrote is still relevant. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

      Delete
    2. Will do Gil. Thank you! I think your book will work just fine for any platform for Sketchbook Pro. I absolutely agree regarding the stylus use for drawing on the iPad. However, you have to try the S Pen stylus only available with the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I tried it at best buy one day and was hooked. Fine tip and feels and draws like a pen nor pencil. Highly recommended. :-)

      Delete