Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Portraits, Painting and Drawing the Passage of Time










 One of the hardest things to deal with in life is aging. I am at a point in my life where I feel like I am standing in the middle. On the one side I have those who came before me grow older and in need of care and on the other I have my children who I have watched grow from infants to their preteen and teenage years and have become more and more independent.

I go almost every other day after work to see my mother. She lays down in her bed staring outward, occasionally trying to communicate something. I can only make out a few words, not enough to understand her most of the time. I play some music that I downloaded for her, the music she played when I was younger, and I sit and draw her.

 My mother sat for me a few times when I started painting from life in high school. She was a very patient sitter. She was in her late fifties then. My mom is ninety now. I guess as much as entries in a journal these images represent some personal note, my continued affection for my mother and the passage of time.

On the left is one of the earliest drawings I've done of my mom, way back in high school. Bellow that is an oil sketch I did when I was in college. The drawing on the right and bellow are the most recent ones.

















1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Quite moving. Wonderfully drawn and painted images.

    ReplyDelete