Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Working In Different Mediums, ( Pen and Ink)

Brush and Ink doodle from sketchbook









It’s a great benefit to learn to use as many mediums as you can. 


For one thing it’s fun.  I have worked with graphite, charcoal, pen and ink, watercolors, gouache, casein, oils, pastel, acrylics, markers and with digital images. 


It also gives you different options as far as making your image. Some subjects may lend itself better to a specific medium. 





A short time ago I went on my lunch break and sat in the park to sketch. Instead of using my watercolors as I usually do I started a drawing using a brush pen filled with black ink. That started the ball rolling. I started using that pen more often as well as using a steel nib pen with some india ink. I’ve used pen and ink and or brush and ink before, but it’s been a little while. One sketch led to another and I start to think about the images I can create with this medium. I was having fun again. After working with watercolors for sometime I had to adjust my thinking from all the color and value choices that watercolor gives me to just the black of the ink and the white of the paper.  That little change in thinking because of choosing a different medium will get me through many hours of enjoyable work.










Above is a brush and ink drawing I did in the park. Later I made the drawing on the left using that same brush pen and a steel nib pen.














1 comment:

  1. I like to use different mediums too! Watercolor is great for landscape, and seascape especially the water and sky, but your drawings of trees look great in ink!

    ReplyDelete