Monday, April 22, 2013

Sketching In Watercolor (What Makes A Sketch A Sketch 2)









I guess this post can be a continuation of my last one about what makes a sketch a sketch. I didn’t mean for it to be. I had meant to do some serious painting this weekend and in a way I did. I had two paintings I wanted to work on but I realized I was not going to have enough time to get far into either one of them. I feel a lot better about a project when I can get a good start on it, I don’t know why that helps me to return to it the next day but I wake up thinking about it. When I go about my day I look forward to returning to it and I think about what I am going to do once I find myself in front of the painting again.


When it became clear I wasn’t going to get a good jump on either painting I pulled out a block of 140 lb. hot pressed watercolor paper, some photos I had taken for reference and began to sketch. The sketch wound up being the triple portrait above. Although I think the head on the right is a little too large I like it enough to try it again on a portrait of my son. One portrait, like one conversation, cannot sum up all of a person’s character so it would be interesting to see how much I can tell about someone I know in three different views in one painting (great, now I have another project to work on).



During the week I also went sketching out doors. Because I’m sketching on my lunch break I really don’t have enough time to finish anything. I do what I can, take several pictures with my digital camera and when I get back to work I print the pictures. At home I finish up the sketch.
 



















No comments:

Post a Comment