Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Digital Sketchbook

 












There was a time when I was concerned that the way I worked, with traditional materials like paper, pencil, paint etc., was going the way of the dinosaur. Computers were going to take over and anyone can become an artist without having to work at it or have any talent whatsoever. I was so wrong and so ignorant. Traditional materials are still valid and probably always will be and the computer it turns out was just another medium- you still need to hone your skills as an artist (as well as have something to say) to use it properly. 


Now I am just as comfortable working digitally as I am with working with traditional mediums. When I was in school I wanted to try so many things, Pen and Ink, Watercolor, Oils, Pastels, Acrylics, Gouache, etc. Whatever I could get my hands on I wanted to try. I do the same thing with software, Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Sketchbook Pro. I’ve played with animation programs as well, its fun.



There is no better example of how the computer is another medium than the progression at left. I worked in the exact same way as I would have if I were using Oils or Gouache.



The other drawings are basically doodles, warm up sketches or just  sketching whatever comes to mind- play.
                                                                                                                                                     








                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment