Monday, February 11, 2013

Working In Traditional and Digital Mediums




  


    Been doing a lot of digital sketching lately. Its very convenient to work on my computer. No set up or clean up, all I need to do is sit in front of my computer, open the program and start. When I'm done I just save and close.

   Convenient but I find working in traditional media like the watercolor wash sketch at left or the drawings bellow much more enjoyable . I do like working on the computer and learning new programs though. My preference may just be based on what I am used to working with- the same as the way someone might prefer watercolors over oils or pencil over charcoal.

    Lately I've been working in Sketchbook Pro 6. But what ever is done, unless you are doing photo manipulation, really depends on the same skills needed to work in traditional mediums. The computer serves as just another medium. I think the big advantage with digital work is that its easier to reproduce, which works fine for commercial work but then the only thing you would have to hang on a wall is a print.Yet again, that would be the same for a photo or an etching where you wind up with a copy of a plate or a negative.

    The drawings of the man and the squirrel are studies for a watercolor I plan to paint. I saw a man feeding squirrels in the park last summer. He feed them by hand as he sat on the bench and the squirrels climbed on to his legs, shoulders and arms. I took a number of photos for reference and I'm trying to work out which to use or what combination of them to use, like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Further down this page I added a tutorial I posted on my YouTube channel. On the video I go over the brushes in Sketchbook Pro 6 and right after that I do a drawing (I sped up the video- wish I could draw that fast).



No comments:

Post a Comment