Saturday, December 10, 2011

Relearning To Paint And Draw With My Left Hand






Draw lines, young man, many lines; from memory or from nature-it is in this way you will become a good artist. (said to Edgar Degas)-Jean Dominique Ingres

With my right hand still in a splint I continue to try to sketch left handed. I keep Ingres words to a young Degas in mind and I try to fill pages of lines- letters, numbers, shapes, etc. Anything in order to practice making marks with my left hand. At first I couldn’t even draw a circle, now I’ve gotten a bit better at being able to control my lines and shapes.


One of the practice pages of letters and numbers
written left handed.

The biggest challenge seems to be how to hold the pencil, pen or brush comfortably in my hand and to be able to move that hand in a way that would leave the type of mark needed. I see improvement in being able to control my hand. I’m learning that the painting is created in my mind, the hands can be trained to translate the image from my mind to the paper or canvas. There is another quote from Ingres that points to this:
One must keep right on drawing; draw with your eyes when you cannot draw with a pencil. -Jean Dominique Ingres



I had this dour look on my face on purpose- just wanted to paint an expression on my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment