Tuesday, November 1, 2011

From Battery Park to Zuccotti Park




A little while ago I took a trip to Zuccotti Park on my lunch hour. Normally I would be doing my water color sketches at Battery Park but I wanted to take a look at what was happening and I took my digital camera with me to take reference shots to use for future watercolors.    

I told myself that this was history and I should go there to take a look and maybe have some record of what was going on, but actually I agree with their stance and wanted to get a closer look at what they were doing and saying. A closer look than the evening news would give.

I wound up staying a little bit beyond my lunch hour, talking to some of the occupiers who were willing to give an earful to anyone who would listen and thumbing through the books at the makeshift “Peoples Library”.
I took plenty of pictures, printed them and filed them away. Life had been so busy these past few weeks it took me a while before I could get back to them. I started to thumb through them early one morning and started the watercolor sketch on the upper left. Wish I had time to do more. I woke up at 3 in the morning and painted till it was time for me to get ready to go to work.

The sketches below are from the last time I was at Battery Park. The leaves were only just starting to change into their fall colors, another thing I need to find the time to paint.



This graphite and wash sketch was painted at the park on my lunch hour. I made the color sketch below using this drawing and some photos I took at the park that day.







No comments:

Post a Comment