Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Discipline Of Art


Self-discipline without talent can often achieve astounding results, whereas talent without self-discipline inevitably dooms itself to failure. (Sidney Harris)


When I wake up every morning, I do so realizing that I have to commit myself to the discipline of continuing in the decision I made to paint / draw  everyday. I have been taught that discipline matters more than talent and I believe it. I don’t believe in waiting for inspiration, inspiration comes while doing the work. In the process of being creative inspiration comes as a point of discovery. It comes either as I’m working or after. 

Being disciplined in my work habits helps to keep my mind active, exploring ideas and it helps me think about being expressive.

Above all it makes art alive for me. It gives me direction, gives me something to pursue and allows me to constantly grow.


I have, in the past, went through long periods of inactivity and my work has suffered for it. It’s been over two years now that I made the commitment to paint everyday and though I’m still striving to go beyond what I know and I’m critical of the work I’ve done it has gotten better since I made the commitment to be disciplined.


I’m thinking about discipline because the past couple of weeks there have been days that I did not want to paint, and it showed in the work I did that day. Those were the days I had to go on discipline, the work itself didn’t matter as much as just doing it. The result is when I find the inspiration, when I discover something I really want to paint I can approach it with unbroken confidence.




I felt better about these last two sketches I did. I want to develop them further and that makes toughing out those difficult days worth while.




 Discipline is admired in opera singers, engineers, dancers, pianists or brain surgeons but, for some peculiar reason, when a painter is undisciplined, it is considered creative, new and innovative, or even genius. Usually, it is just bad painting. (Patricia Moran)

No comments:

Post a Comment