Sunday, August 21, 2011

Persistence Pays Off (Eventually)


"No matter what you do for a living, nurture your art". (Irwin Greenberg)


I spent most of this week resenting my job, wishing I could stay home and continue to paint, (as well as spend more time with the family). I'm thankful for the paycheck and whenever there is overtime I put in for it because we just need that money, but I dream of being paid to paint and having the space to work comfortably.

The reality is that I need to continue what I do so that I can pay the rent, so I continue to use my lunch hour to paint and when I come home I try to get some work done before I turn in. There are times when I wake up early in the morning, anywhere between 3 and 5 A.M., and get some painting done before I leave for work. I do my best to follow that advice Greenberg gave about nurturing my art no matter what I do.


Persistence and tenacity pays off eventually. For one thing I think the work, (in watercolor), is beginning to look better and my ambition is growing. I purchased three large boards today so that I can paint something larger and more challenging than the work I have been doing.


There was a time a few years back where I just about gave up and went in to what seemed to be just living. I had a job, I took care of my family but I still needed something to define me. I've been drawing since I can remember, it was something I did before I ever realized that some people did it for a living or that there were great masters who were remembered because of their art. Drawing was just what I did and what I became known for. "Do you still draw?"- that's the first question friends and family who I haven't seen for years ask me. I really couldn't give it up. So it’s a matter of how best to use the time that I have to be me while holding on to the job and taking care of my family. So far so good, like I said the work seem to show some improvement and my ambition is growing













1 comment:

  1. Given the excellence of your work (better than many successful full-time artists), I assumed you didn't do art full-time because you chose not to. Given your combination of quality work and the discipline to keep producing, you're bound to find your niche. I offer my admiration and the best of fortune in the (near) future.

    ReplyDelete