Monday, August 29, 2011

Limited Time to Paint Yields New Possibilities




The past week was pretty much a wash out as far as the weather was concerned. I think there were only two afternoons where I was able to paint on my lunch hour.  I painted indoors of course, (I’m able to close the door of the room I work in so I won’t be disturbed), and at home as well. Then there was Hurricane Irene over the weekend. It was actually downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it made landfall in New York City. I spent a lot of time painting indoors. 

The watercolor above was painted at work from a photo I took of my wife some time ago. Having only just under 60 minutes to paint this I worked mostly wet in wet, something I haven't done. Usually I wait for an area to dry so that I can either add another wash of color on top or dislodge and wipe out some of the paint with water in order to make corrections. Since I was working in an air conditioned environment it took longer for the paint to dry and my time was restricted so it forced me to work into wet areas. I liked the results and it's something that I'm going to do again.




The painting of my son on the left was painted in the way I usually do in watercolor. Building up the areas slowly with wash after wash trying to make smooth transitions in the values. This was painted at home where I have more time to do this. I painted this at night and woke up early the next morning to finish it before leaving for work.

I actually use a little bit of both methods in any painting I do. Being forced to paint more rapidly because of time and environment opened me up to seeing more uses for the wet in wet technique. So I added  another weapon to my arsenal.




As an aside, I was mailed a copy of Guide Magazine where one of my illustrations appeared. I posted the illustration before, I post the printed version here. Was surprised to see it as a double page spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment