Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sketching People In The Park/ Developing A Shorthand

On my last outing in Battery Park I decided to spend that lunch hour sketching the people in the park. This is not an easy thing to do since no one is standing still for me for a great length of time.  I’m sketching part from observation and part from memory. This was something I used to do a lot of and felt a little out of practice to start, but it’s a lot of fun to do and I couldn’t get enough of it. It’s a great way of developing a short hand in watercolor, trying to put things down quickly with just a few washes of paint over a quick gesture sketch in pencil.

These first two pages on the left, I sketched in the park; the other two pages I used photos I had taken for reference for other work. Painting out in the park was more fun, however, using the photos still remained a fun exercise. I tried to not get into rendering any details so that the sketches would have the same freshness and spontaneity as the ones I did in the park.








3 comments:

  1. hi very interesting works in water color you made me rethink to go back to my old days of painting watercolors thanks you are simply good and very nice to see fresh work of art
    harish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you actually take your watercolors & water?
    Your art is beautiful!
    Keep up the great work.
    Cannot wait to see more.

    Happy thoughts,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete