Tuesday, July 12, 2011

From Sketch To Finished Painting




Sketching outdoors is fun and challenging.  Eventually I want to put these bits of information I’ve been collecting together.  I actually dream about it.  I remember my favorite teacher, Irwin Greenberg, used to tell his students "go to bed thinking about what you’re going to paint the next day".  In my mind I want to somehow take the sketches I’ve done and put them together on a large canvas.  I began thinking about what I wanted to paint this past weekend.  I started on a little watercolor trying to gather up the information from sketches I’ve made on my lunch hour. 




I’ve done several sketches of Bowling Green Station. I like it because it’s a great backdrop to arrange figures-coming in and out and walking around the station.  Using this sketch as a starting point; references from my digital camera; as well as the quick sketches of people I've been doing the past couple of weeks, I can put together what I hope would be a decent painting.






The sketches on the right were made today. I had made the preliminary sketch below over the past weekend. I will add more figures to the final painting. More importantly, for right now is working out the perspective. I’m going to have to do a lot of straightening out with drawing the structure and the building's but at least I have an idea of what I would like to paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment