Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Sketching Habit / Lifeline



“Draw everywhere and all the time. An artist is a sketchbook with a person attached.”
Irwin Greenberg

Sometimes I have to remember to tell myself not to try and do to much. I’ve gone through a couple of weeks where sketching is all I can really get done because there’s not enough time to do anything beyond that.
Some day’s that hour lunch break was the only time I had to get anything done. Its important for me to do something everyday, to learn something, to continually strive to be better.  Some weeks are easier
than others to find the time, some nights I stay up late and pay for it the next day and because of fatigue I wind up not doing my best work anyway.
I made up my mind a long time ago to hoard my time, to decide what I absolutely must give away and to who and the remaining time belongs to painting, drawing and reading, doing whatever I can to advance what I know. For that reason  I do very little visiting or spending time with friends, (I’m not antisocial. I make friends and maintain relationships within a set time but what
time I set aside for painting I don’t give away- except, of course as my family has need of me).
This weekend looks to be a busy one, there are two draws on my time.
1- my son has his little league picnic on Saturday, (my son Jason participated in the challengers little league which was formed for children with special needs, mostly autism. This is his third year participating in the league and I’m very proud of him), and 2- on Sunday it’s off to church in the morning. Both events leave the evening open, so God willing I can get some work done then, but what I’m really looking forward to is the fourth of July weekend where I’m looking forward to more time then. Until then I need to be content with making more entries in my sketch book.



This one I painted based on the sketch above left.















No comments:

Post a Comment