Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One Year of Sketching in the Park - More or Less

 'The sketch hunter has delightful days of drifting about among people, in and out of the city, going anywhere, everywhere, stopping as long as he likes- no need to reach any point, moving in any direction following the call of interests. He moves through life as he finds it, not passing negligently the things he loves, but stopping to know them, and to note them down in the shorthand of his sketchbook, a box of oils with a few panels, the fit of his pocket, or on his drawing pad. Like any hunter he hits or misses. He is looking for what he loves, he tries to capture it. It's found anywhere, everywhere. Those who are not hunters do not see these things. The hunter is learning to see and to understand- to enjoy.'
Robert Henri, (The Art Spirit, pg. 17)




It’s been about a year now that I started sketching in Battery Park on my lunch hour. It started off as a few days out of the week and turned into an everyday thing, (weather permitting and an occasional errand as well). There is not a lot I can do in under an hour but it has become the best part of my day. I look back and see that the sketches have gotten better and more ambitious.
It’s hard to notice that there has been much progress because every sketch presents a challenge, especially since I’m trying to do more than I really have time to do. Besides simply trying to improve on my drawing and painting I hope that the sketching will lead to even more ambitious work by way of finished paintings, but I have to make the time for that.
The watercolor at left is a recent sketch the wash drawing on the right is one of the first sketches I made at Battery Park.












No comments:

Post a Comment