Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Digital Freedom



A few years back I made a terrific investment and purchased a Cintiq tablet. Since then my computer has become a sketchbook. It made it easier for me to get into digital work because I draw directly on to the monitor with a pressure sensitive pen. Touch screens are nice but we don't write with our fingers, I wish they would make affordable PC tablets that use a stylus.Anyway, I already knew a bit about photoshop but having this tablet freed me to really get comfortable and creative with the program. First I got into comic book type coloring then I just started painting in photoshop.

I have to admit that I would much rather work with traditional materials and have something other than a virtual piece of work in the end, but this ain't bad either. Especially since I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, its nice to be be able to start drawing or painting any time I want.



This series of screen captures show the progression from
line art to color typical of how one would color a comic book.
I bring into photoshop as 600dpi on a transparent layer and palce
layers underneath where I color the different elements.
Here is the color underneath the main figures.
The line and the color combined.

The background is on a different layer.


The video bellow is a sketch I did on a sleepless night. I used one of the many subway sketches I've made over the years and colored it using Photoshop on my Cintiq.

No comments:

Post a Comment