Sunday, March 27, 2011

Inspiration - Getting An Idea

   I hate it when I don't have an idea as to what to work on. Most times I continue to sketch daily until an idea comes to me. Other times I would pick up a book and sketch out images from the story.
The surest way I know to get an idea is to keep drawing and keep observing and life will reveal something that will inspire me. On one particular day my wife came home from having her hair done and upon seeing her I wanted to do a number of portraits of her, one in profile, another a three quarter view and the last I would paint head on. These drawings I started as warm ups. The problem I have to solve now is (1) to find the time,(even worse than not having an idea is having one and not having the time to turn it into a painting before the inspiration goes away), and (2) not let my interest wane.



 The drawing on the left is obviously the same pose as the one above it. Initially I was dissatisfied with the drawing and began the one above, but after finishing that one I returned to the first drawing and began to make corrections and felt better about the drawing.





This last drawing I did on toned paper I included touches of gouache so I can indicate the difference in the light on the right and left of her.










1 comment:

  1. Awesome sketches! Even if you don't make a painting from them, they stand up in their own right :)

    ReplyDelete